Monday, March 14, 2011

Race

After taking several tests to discover any hidden race biases, I recieved results that I feel truly represent who I am. My results classified me who is neutral and does not prefer one race over the other. When I was young I went to Tamarak Day Camp. I came home after camp and told my parents I met a new friend. They asked me to describe what she looked like because they wanted to know If I met Jasmine Jordan. They were being nice and had no intention of being racist, but were trying to ask me questions like "Did she have darker skin" to see if that's who I met. My response to them was, "She has a lot of braids." My parents to this day pride themselves on how they raised me to see how everyone is equal and I never judge or think less of anyone due to race or religion. I think this shows that from a young age I never felt that the color of ones skin defined them.

After closely examining some of the Black and White perspectives I see a lot of similarities to the packets we just read. Something that was mentioned in the packet but really expanded on in the articles I just looked at, was that there is a major difference in the amount of married black women to the amount of married white women. This was shocking to me. I would never have made that connection. In one of the articles a black lady was describing how black people tend to have many single moms.  She was explaining how she feels they are not raised and expected to be successful. This was very sad to me because everyone deserves a happy ending and an equal opportunity for success. There is also a much greater population of HIV and AIDS among black people which I thought was shocking. How does one's color affect the amount of people with a certain sexually transmitted disease? It just doesn't make sense to me.

In the white perspective there are many differences than I read today in the article. Today I read about a white boy hanging a noose outside a library and constant attacks of race. In the packet I read about how white people are aware of the past, yet they are trying to move forward past it. They did not want the guilt of their ancestors, but still did have sympathy for the black people. In these articles it seemed as if times really have not changed and improved much, which is really disheartening.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the personal nature of this post however your others don't have nearly this kind of detail or thorough reflection. Make sure you always use the details and specifics of the material you are using for this blog.

    ReplyDelete